- Cleft Lip & Palate
- DynaCleft System
- Dysphagia & Oral Motor Control
- General Medical and Dental Information
- Head & Neck Cancer, Radiation Therapy
- Heat & Cold Therapy - Face, Neck Jaw
- Jaw Function, Trismus, and Jaw Therapies
- Laryngectomy, Tracheostomy, Cancer Surgery
- Liquid & Soft Diets and Recipes
- NutriSqueeze™ Pouches and Bottles
- Oral Hygiene
- OraStretch Press
- Product Review
- Surgery - Jaw, Facial, Oral, Cosmetic, Orthognathic
- Surgical Recovery - Jaw, Facial, Oral, Cosmetic, Orthognathic
- TheraBite System
- TMJ Disorder - TMD
- Xerostomia, Dry Mouth
- Successful Orofacial Rehabilitation of Facial Burns with the OraStretch Press and Therabite Device (Article Review)
- Xerostomia in HNC Patients
- Living with Xerostomia - Mouth Care and Gum Health
- IMPORTANT HPV VACCINATION UPDATE!!!
- Swallowing Difficulties and the Holidays
- When to order a Jaw Motion Rehab System for Trismus Prevention from Radiation Therapy.
- Cleft Lip & Palate - A Quick Primer
- Trismus in Head & Neck Cancer
- HPV and Oral Cancer - Signs and Symptoms
- Article Review on Trismus incidence and impact on quality of life in head and neck cancer patients (2013)
- April 2019
- February 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- August 2018
- May 2018
- February 2018
- January 2018
- December 2017
- November 2016
- January 2015
- October 2014
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- February 2013
- October 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- April 2012
- November 2011
- October 2011
- August 2011
- April 2011
- January 2011
- November 2010
- October 2010
- June 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
Posted by Linda Van Rossen on 8/7/2013 to Head & Neck Cancer, Radiation Therapy
The TheraBite device consists of:
A: Fine adjustment knob thumb screw.
B: Top squeeze handle with 5 limit holes
C: Millimeter set pin.
D: Millimeter set arm, which attaches to the top squeeze handle
by sliding the set pin into one of the 5 holes
E and F: Upper and Lower Bite Plates. These are where you would rest
your upper and lower teeth.
G: TheraBite body and lower handle.
There are two versions of the TheraBite. The standard device has a wider mouthpiece and fits patients over 10 years-old. The pediatric appliance is for children and has a smaller mouthpiece for patients under 10 years-old, and can be used in babies and infants.
Crescent shaped pads for the upper and lower mouthpieces are provided with the TheraBite system. One side of the pad is sticky for application to the mouthpiece. The pad cushions you teeth and creates a guide to place your teeth when using the TheraBite device. To apply a pad, remove the backing from the pad and stick the pad to the crescent shaped mouthpieces on the sides that your teeth will contact.
When you look at the TheraBite you will notice there is a Milliliter Set Pin/Arm, this arm has 5 holes and can adjust the opening of the TheraBite from 25 mm. to 45 mm., by removing the set pin and sliding the arm to another hole higher or lower on the arm. This is used to restrict your opening so you don't over stretch your joints or muscles. Generally your Doctor or Therapist will advise you on where to place the set pin/ arm adjustment.
The arthritis slide C-Clip is shown in Photo 3. It is placed over the handle when the top squeeze handle (B) is fully depressed into the body of the TheraBite. It slides along the entire TheraBite to open and close the TheraBite without having to squeeze the handles This attachment is used when it is painful or difficult to squeeze the handle normally, e.g. arthritic patients.
The above photos shows a TheraBite Scale. On the left, it is used to measure your intraoral opening or range-of-motion (ROM). On the right, the user is measuring their lateral range. .
To use a TheraBite scale, place the notch on the bottom of the scale is placed between your lower two front teeth, your incisor teeth. The top part of the scale will be scored by your upper teeth with your mouth is fully open. Where the tip of your incisor touched the scale is your intraoral opening.
A patient is shown using the TheraBite to Stretch her mouth, jaw, face and temporomandibular joint (TMJ).
More information on ordering a TheraBite machine for Patients.
How to order or prescribe a TheraBite system, for professionals.
A TheraBite Prescription Rx.
More information on protocols and instructions for the TheraBite system.
More information on cost, pricing and insurance coverage of the TheraBite system.
Evidence and Research on the TheraBite tool and therapy.
Compare the TheraBite to other rehab devices.
Have more questions? Call us for information or to order a device.