- 50 HNC patient divided into control and intervention groups.
- Patients completed radiotherapy 3-6 months prior to study onset.
- Intervention group engaged in structured exercise intervention with a TheraBite or Engstrom device. Exercise included passive and active movements of the jaw.
- Control group received no structured exercise intervention.
- Maximum interincisal opening and patient-reported (PRO)-instruments
- Assessed before and after exercise interventions.
- Assessed at 2- year follow-up.
- Statistically significant
- 2-year follow-up: The intervention group achieved higher maximum interincisal opening (MIO)
- (40.5mm vs. 34.3 mm).
- The intervention group reported less trismus related symptoms and a better global HRQL.
For the complete study, click on this link: https://doi.org/10.3109/0284186X.2015.1133928
Nina Pauli, Ulrika Svensson, Therese Karlsson & Caterina Finizia (2016) Exercise intervention for the treatment of trismus in head and neck cancer – a prospective two-year follow-up study, Acta Oncologica, 55:6, 686-692, DOI: 10.3109/0284186X.2015.1133928