Tips and Ideas:
Items to have on hand:
- Blender, storage containers, strainer or metal coffee filter.
- Emergency Food Options for last minute or on-the-go
- Instant breakfast, protein or nutritional shakes (like Ensure)
- Fruit Smoothies, Milk shakes, yogurt, and puddings.
- Baby Food
- Seeds and skins – applies, pears, peaches, no dried fruits
- Nuts (Use smooth peanut butter)
- Crusts and breaded foods
- Bacon, overcooked scrambled eggs.
Stay Healthy Tips:
Meat, Eggs and Cheese:
- Eat 5-6 meals a day.
- Rinse your mouth after every meal to help keep it clean.
- Think Fiber. As you adjust to a soft/liquid diet constipation can be a problem, as can some medications.
- The best way to keep you nutrition, calories, and protein up is to vary your diet. So mix it up, try different things.
- Vitamins and supplements can help you stay healthy.
You can puree various meats or use strained baby food meats for soups
and purees. A basic recipe is to blend a ½ cup of meat and ½ cup of
liquid, like gravy, broth or milk (Add more if necessary) until it is
pasteurized eggs or liquid egg products, or cook to a soft-custard to
mix into your purees. Do not use raw unpasteurized eggs that can cause
Cheese and Solid Fats:
For liquid diets, solid fats and cheeses can be blended if they are
first melted. Oil, salad dressing (no seeds) and cream can be added
Soft/ Liquid Diet Enhancers:
Need Protein: Tofu, powdered milk, yogurt, eggs, whey.
Need Flavor: Lemon juice, almond or vanilla extract, cocoa powder, honey, syrup, oil, butter, seedless jelly, salad dressing
Need Calories: Butter, oil, mayo, nut butter, avocado
Need Vitamins: Look for liquid vitamins to easily add.
Ice: Add ice or freeze ingredients for a cold shake.